Archive for history

Love and history in the palm of my hand…

Posted in Grizzly's Garden, Preserving, Vegetables with tags , , , , , , , , , on April 10, 2013 by grumpygrizzlyfarms

We received a  priceless gift last year.  It actually takes my breath away when I think about it.  My husband’s step mother, Marcia, gave us a neatly packaged gift of bean seeds, known as Bollen Beans, that have been passed down through the family over the years.  I am not sure how old the seeds we received were or how long the variety has been in the family.  I am guessing that this variety of bean has been enjoyed, loved, and passed on for well over a half of a century.   Tonight I worked on keeping this family history alive.  We planted Bollen Beans in our garden last year for the first time.   We dried the majority of the beans over the winter and we are now in the process of shelling them.  I feel a huge sense of responsibility to keep this variety alive and thriving.  Studies today estimate that up to 93% of our vegetable varieties have been forever lost.  I absolutely admire the passion, dedication, and leadership of those people working to ensure that we do not lose the remaining 7% .  I cherish our piece of history and I hope to hold it in the palm of my hand for many years to come.

Thank you Marcia! XO